Arenal Costa Rica Transportation
This online listing of transportation costs, schedules and routes will help you plan and book your transportation to/from Arenal.
Our company offers safe and comfortable transportation to the Arenal Volcano and between all other destinations in Costa Rica. Transportation options include shuttles, private services, flights and coaster buses. For more information about our Costa Rica transportation services, please email us at [email protected]
Privates on Request
Features of our Service
- - We are proud to have operated more than 4,000 ground transfers since 1998. We have maintained a superior safety record while doing so.
- - All vehicles are recent, comfortable, air conditioned, fully insured, and government inspected.
- - Our expert local drivers know their routes and road conditions; they drive these routes daily.
- - All drivers carry a cell phone and pager, and you can call our office at anytime should something come up.
- - All vehicles are checked daily. Most private transfer drivers own their vehicles, and as such, will drive safely and work hard to keep their vehicle in great shape.
- - All rates are in US dollars and include tax.
Additional Service Details
- - Space is limited and routes are often fully booked 3 days in advance. Please make your reservations as early as possible to ensure a spot.
- - Our Costa Rica transportation shuttles are half-rate for children under 12. (Note: child seats are not common. We suggest bringing your own for the comfort and safety of your child)
- - Vehicles have a sturdy roof rack. There is a $10 charge per surfboard or bicycle; other items should be packed in a box and made as small as possible. Please let us know if you have bulky luggage so that our drivers can be advised.
- - If you would like to stop for lunch or photos, or are delayed at the time of your pick-up, not to worry – all private transfers include 1 hour of free wait time. There is, however, a $10 fee for each additional hour.
- - If you would like to add side trips to your private transfer, please send us a detailed email and we will provide you with a quote ([email protected]).
- - We charge fair prices. Some prices might seem high, but please understand that the price of vehicles, parts, and gas is higher in Costa Rica due to our small market. Maintenance and insurance costs are also higher because the roads are extremely rough.
- - We do not offer cutthroat rates. These lead to poorly maintained vehicles and underpaid, unhappy drivers. Our roads are simply too treacherous and the welfare of our guests too important for us to sacrifice this quality.
- - Blocking roads is a popular form of peaceful protest in Costa Rica, as there is oftentimes only one route between two destinations. Should this occur, we will send another vehicle to meet you at the opposite end of a roadblock. Rest assured, you will not miss your plane or waste vacation time while traveling with us.
- - The rainy season often produces mudslides that may block the road between Arenal and Liberia. This has not stopped us from getting our clients to their destination. We have vehicles on both sides, and if necessary, we will use our boats on Lake Arenal to bridge the gap.
- - If you plan on making a hotel reservation with Arenal.net, you may send transportation and tour questions together with the hotel request. We will reply in a single email. The more information you include (number of people, age of children, name of hotels, time, etc.) the more complete our reply will be.
Arenal Volcano to / from the Monteverde Cloud Forest
Our Horseback Adventure or Taxi / Boat / Taxi will transport you between Arenal and the Monteverde Cloud Forest. See this page for more information.
We also offer transfers by land. These take about 4 hours and cost around $170. That said, the shortcuts are faster, cheaper and much more fun!
All Transportation Destinations from Arenal, Costa Rica
Check out the Liberia Costa Rica website for lodging and transportation near the Liberia Airport. To book transportation for other Costa Rica destinations, please email us at [email protected]
Public Bus Schedule - to and from La Fortuna
- Route 211 FORTUNA (Arenal Volcano) from San José - DEP. every day from Terminal Atlántico Norte at 6:15 AM, 8:40 AM, 11:30 AM; RET. 12:45 PM; 14:45 PM. 130 km, 5 hours total. Cost is $3.76 ** Auto-Transportes San José-San Carlos company. Tel. 2-255-4318
- Route 286 FORTUNA from Ciudad Quesada - DEP. every day from Parada Municipal at 6:00 AM, 10:30 AM, 1:00 PM, 3:30 PM, 5:15 PM, 6:00 PM; RET 5:00 AM, 8:00 AM, 12:15 PM, 3:30 PM. There are 4 different routes and we recommend Chachagua at DEP. 6:00 AM and 10:30 AM and RET 8:00 PM, 12:15 PM. Ask for details at the station. 40 km, 1 hour total. Cost is $0.95 ** Auto-Transportes San José-San Carlos company. Tel. 2-255-4318
- Route 1202 FORTUNA from Tilarán - DEP. every day at 7:00 AM, 12:30 PM; RET. 8:30 AM, 5:30 pm. 101 km, 4 hours total. Cost is $2 ** Auto-Transportes Tilarán company. Tel. 2-222-3854